Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Synthesis - Minimalism with Expression (Non-objective Paintings)

I earned a BFA in Sculpture at the University of Alabama in 2004. I started painting seriously in 2004, and my concerns in painting are the same as they were in sculpture. I start with a minimal look, and then tweak it to provide expression. Rothko and Anish Kapoor have influenced my work. I am using color as expression. Many of my canvases are 3D; I like to respond to an actual shape (other than a flat canvas) with paint.

My earlier works are sculptures.  Click on older dates under Archives to access the images.  They include "Red Tide," a monumental sculpture on the campus of UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham), Birmingham, AL.

My email address is:  hopkins.martha@att.net

2 Comments:

Blogger Meridian High Wildcat said...

Martha,
Thank you for sending your blog. I'm learning how this works and haven't viewed your work yet but will figure out how to do that soon!
Jinny Curran

5:45 AM  
Blogger Steve Finnell said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home